12.24.2010

Walkin in a Winter Wonderland...

Last weekend Lucas and I went to Snowshoe, WV with a friend to go snowboarding. Lucas and I lived in upstate New York for a year while he was in the military and during that time, I started to learn the basics of snowboarding at that time. That was 3 years ago. Apparently a loooong 3 years.  At the end of day 1 I about had a nervous breakdown from frustration.  Day 2 was much much better. Thanks to 2 great teachers, I think I've got the hang of using my toe edge and linking turns, now I just need to practice and get up speed! I can't tell you how many times I lost momentum on a straightaway and had to inch worm my way to the top of a small hill.

The scenery at Snowshoe was absolutely beautiful. I swear I hummed "Walkin in a Winter Wonderland" the whole time I was there.  Here are some of the pictures from our trip:
Everything at Snowshoe was covered in a coat of snow. This made for great powder to snowboard on and perfectly frosted Christmas trees to take pictures of!




This is from the top of one of the slopes. I love the shape of the tall spindly evergreens.




The trees were even more majestic at night. Looks like everything has been coated with a thick white plaster.  And the snow was still coming!

Everywhere you turned on the 50 miles of windin road to Snowshoe, there was a cute little church.  This is a window in Big Springs Presbyterian Church.



The bed and breakfast we stayed at was perfectly quaint.  Affordable too. It was just big enough to feel like you weren't staying in a stranger's spare bedroom, but small enough to be cozy.  I'd recommend the Morning Glory Inn to anyone going to Snowshoe!








So, I know this isn't the best picture ever, but I had to include a picture of the snowflakes.  These particular snowflakes are on my camera bag.  I don't think I've ever seen individual snowflakes so perfectly shaped. Around here they are usually clumped together so you can't see all the points and designs.  These look exactly like the paper ones I used to make!  They kept me particularly entertained while we were going up the ski lifts.




And finally, on our way home Becky and I passed a cute little scene with a deer munching under a tree in a graveyard.  We decided to pull a U turn and go back to take a picture.  Obviously, this is not a deer under a tree in a graveyard.  Our U turn swung a little too wide and we ended up nose first in a deep snowbank.  After getting our pants soaked up past the knees from digging out the wheels and pushing, we had a nice stranger stop to help us out.  We connected the chains that belonged on the tires (that didn't happen to be on them unfortunately) and hooked to his truck.  He pulled us out with no problem.  This horse watched the whole scene and was apparently entertained by our antics. I can imagine two grown women digging, pushing, and hopping up and down on a car could be quite distracting...


To see more of Christine's lifestyle portraits and fine art photography click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment