5.10.2011

The Cornbread Festival: Stories and Musings

We had so much fun at the Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, TN.  I learned a lot and was overwhelmed by the positive feedback I received from the festival-goers.  It was great to meet new people and network with other vendors. 

Many people were surprised that I am the photographer.  One lady told me she had milk in the back of her refrigerator older than me! I'll guess I'll take that as a compliment...although she should probably clean out her fridge.  Granted, one guy took a guess at my age and thought I was 6 years younger than I am.  I'll be thankful for that in another 20 years!

I couldn't anticipate peoples' reactions to the photos, but I'd love to share a few of the stories with you!


I was pleasantly surprised by the locals' reaction to Shelby Rhinehart bridge photos.  Many people who used to live in South Pittsburg, purchased these photos as a memory from home.  I was told many times that they appreciated the uniqueness of these photos and that they've never seen such a creative perspective.  Most bridge pictures are just straight on.  I sold out of the first one!

This photo was a crowd favorite.  I've always loved this scene and I'm glad that others enjoy it as well.  I had this gallery wrapped on a 24x36 canvas and many people thought it was a painting!

Apparently people love cows.  Who knew?  You can definitely tell the people who have raised cows from those who haven't.  This photo was framed 24x36 and it would stop people in their tracks as they were walking by my booth.  They'd come in and get so excited about the cows.  I never realized there were so many cow farmers around.  I guess the Cornbread Festival is a good place to meet them!

One guy bought this photo in 16x20.  He said he was going to frame it and put it by his front door so everyone would be greeted by it when they came to his house:)

Everyone loved this one and the one above.  I almost didn't include these because they aren't as artsy.  Turns out, people don't care! They just want something that makes them smile.

This is one of my favorite stories from the day.  An older man (probably in his 60's or 70's) looked through the photos.  When he got to this one, he picked it up and laughed a little.  I asked him if he knew what bridge it was, and he said "oh yes!"  Apparently, when he was 16 years old, he and a bunch of buddies actually climbed up to that house at the very tippy top and tried to spend the night there.  He said the police came out and made them leave.  But, the only reason they got caught was because they turned the light on!!!  I'm sooo jealous. I've always wanted to go up there.  So, now I know if I ever do it, to leave the light OFF!  Of course, that was probably 50 years ago...

Oh, and when that same man got to this picture, he did that same little laugh.  I just said, "No way! You haven't been in there too?!"  He just smiled and said, "Yup."


This photo was polarizing, which I expected.  People either really liked it, or they really didn't.  My husband thinks I'm really weird for taking the photo this way.  It's exciting to find out that other people agree with what I find to be beautiful.  I kind of like that not everybody likes it.  It is unique and has a lot of empty space.  It definitely breaks all the rules of composition.  One lady said it reminds her of a quote she heard once from a director of Western movies. I wish I could remember it verbatim, but the concept was that when you're comfortable enough with filming movies that the sun no longer has to be in the middle of the screen, you're ready to film a Western.  I thought that was very fitting for my country themed photos.

An interesting observation from the day, was that a lot of guys like my photography.  Granted, I'm not the most girly/frilly photographer but I hadn't realized just how much my photos appeal to men.  This was a favorite with the guys.  It would stop men passing by and lure them into my booth.  If it was a woman that saw it first, she would stop and say "My husband would love this picture!"

I learned that people love to talk about photography: other photographers, hobbyists, or even people who have taken a photo on their cell phone.  A lot of people showed me photographs they've taken and wanted to discuss various aspects of photography.  People asked if I had photos ranging from roosters to outhouses.  I'll have to keep some of those things in mind for the future...I can just see myself laying on the ground chasing after roosters! It's bound to happen sooner or later.

There were a lot of great vendors at the festival.  Here are some of my favorite:

Raven Designz (facebook here): Adorable tutu's, bows, and onesies made to look like the baby is wearing a tie and suspenders!

Patch Design Studio (website here): Cute little cornbread onesies, pillows, and textiles.

Fort Remington Wood Spoons (website here): Beautiful handcrafted wooden spoons.

Echo Hollow Music (website here): They make beautiful mountain dulcimers, but also something called a Canjo.  It's a instrument made from a can of spam or a beer can!

East Fork Woodworks: Rustic birdhouses.  I've seen quite a few birdhouses at festivals, but these were by far my favorite.  One was attached to the top of a shovel, so all you had to do was put the shovel in the ground!
Oh, and I discovered deep fried Oreos! it sounded greasy and disgusting to me but Lucas bought some and I just had to try them.  They are A-MA-ZING! I highly recommend you try it next time you go to a festival.  It's worth the calories.

To see more of Christine's fine art photos and lifestyle portraits, click here.

1 comment:

  1. there is an out house up on the hill of church property. it is pepto bismo (color) on inside.

    ReplyDelete